Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 19, 2015 – Volume 535
The Week’s News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
Share this newsletter on Facebook using this link: http://on.fb.me/1MUzn8Z.
You have received this email from Flying Blind, LLC because you are subscribed to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications. To ensure that you continue to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications please add the following two email addresses to your Address Book, Email Contact List, Trusted Sender’s List, and/or Safe Sender’s List today: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Read this Volume of Top Tech Tidbits on the web at: http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2015/11192015/index.html.
This Week’s Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished BrailleNote Apex 32 Cell Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard, Oxford Dictionary, and GPS Software for $3,295.00 USD – Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Flying Blind, LLC is very excited to have One Refurbished BrailleNote Apex 32 Cell Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard, Oxford Dictionary, and GPS Software available for $3,295.00 USD, approximately $3,000.00 USD off of its suggested list price!!! For the past 15 years the BrailleNote name has been synonymous with excellence and innovation and the Apex continues to set standards that other notetakers have yet to meet. This unit is in mint condition and with 8 months remaining on its manufacturer’s warranty is in need of a new home with a responsible user. This exceptionally priced gem will give you back the time you need to have the time of your life! Its robust yet intuitive functionality bundled with state-of-the-art dictionary software and integrated GPS functionality will offer truly limitless options to whomever is lucky enough to receive it. Price includes shipping within the Continental United States. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information, or to order this product offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today!
Buy Now – One Refurbished BrailleNote Apex 32 Cell Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard, Oxford Dictionary, and GPS Software for $3,295.00 USD – Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
1A) Mozilla has created an iOS version of the Firefox browser and has included accessibility considerations:
1B) We also have a Cool Blind Tech podcast about it:
2) The Narrator screen reader now works in the XBox 1, which may make some games or other programs accessible. Here is a demo of the screen reader:
3) There is a Windows 10 Wiki which gives information about the operating system, different upgrades, and screen reader issues:
4) Audio Feedback, A New Accessibility Option, Will Let Your Android Wear Watch Talk Back To You:
5) Chris Hofstader gives Apple positive marks for its 2015 upgrades:
6A) Ai Squared has released ZoomText Fusion, adding Window-Eyes to ZoomText for the user whose sight loss is intensifying:
6B) The company is conducting a free webinar to introduce the product on Monday, 30 November at 19:00 GMT:
7) Hear about the PlexTalk Pocket Linio player/recorder on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 24 November at 01:00:
8) In the Fall 2015 edition of “508 XPress” a quarterly newsletter on making electronic content accessible to everyone, you will discover tips on making PDFs accessible on mobile devices, learn about the importance of skip nav links and more:
9) Here we have a video, “Overview of Voiceover on 4th Generation Apple TV:”
10) The November issue of AccessWorld is traditionally the Holiday Issue. Besides the Annual Accessible Holiday Gift Guide, which contains items whose prices range from free to hundreds of dollars, the issue includes a review of iOS9, thoughts on holiday shopping using an iOS device, a discussion of the web accessibility enhancement tool Sitecues from Ai Squared, an overview of the products from 64 Oz. Games, a review of the new CrowdViz app that enables blind people to get help from remote assistants, and coverage of a Learning Ally endeavor to help college students succeed:
11) MacForTheBlind sells tutorials on iOS and the Mac. Prices seem to run from $35 to $45 per chapter:
12) Jamal Mazrui has updated IniForm, a set of tools for conveniently creating user interface dialogs under Windows. You can get the package here:
13) Learn about creating your own website in episode 1547 of Eyes on Success:
14) We like to mention blind bloggers who help people think about the implications of blindness to life and demonstrate constructive approaches to life. Here is one such:
15A) NVDA 2015.4rc1 has been released for testing. Get it, and read about new features here:
15B) Here you will find a podcast demonstrating the new features:
16A) Investment firm Vector Capital has acquired Freedom Scientific and Optelec and combined them into one big adaptive technology company. For the moment, the two companies retain their own identities:
16B) Freedom Scientific has rushed out an FSCast all about this development:
Flying Blind, LLC Classifieds Section:
1.) One Refurbished BrailleNote Apex 32 Cell Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard, Oxford Dictionary, and GPS Software
Price: $3,295.00 USD
Savings: Offered here at approximately $3,000.00 USD off of its suggested list price.
Description: This unit is in mint condition and with 8 months remaining on its manufacturer’s warranty is in need of a new home with a responsible user. This exceptionally …
2.) One Gently Used Braille Note Apex 32-Cell Note Taker with QWERTY Style Keyboard
Price: $2,695.00 USD
Savings: Offered here at approximately $2,900.00 USD off of its suggested list price.
Description: This unit has been used for approximately two hours, is in brand new condition, and is begging to be used a whole lot more by someone in the market for a note …
3.) Brand New Alva Satellite 544 44-Cell Braille Displays
Price: $2,295.00 USD Each
Description: 5 units available. Synonymous with global excellence and an intuitive, market-driven design, for the past fifteen years the ALVA Satellite Series of Braille displays …
4.) Brand New Alva Satellite 584 84-Cell Braille Displays
Price: $3,695.00 USD Each
Description: 2 units available. Synonymous with global excellence and an intuitive, market-driven design, for the past fifteen years the ALVA Satellite Series of Braille displays …
5.) One Gently Used Ruby XL HD Handheld Video Magnifier
Price: $795.00 USD
Savings: Offered here at approximately $200.00 USD off of its suggested list price.
Description: The Ruby HD sets new high definition standards for handheld magnification that other less portable alternatives simply cannot meet. The crystal clear images …
6.) One Gently Used Optelec Clearview Plus HD with 22 Inch Monitor
Price: $2,195.00 USD
Savings: Offered here at approximately $1,100.00 USD off of its suggested list price.
Description: Optelec’s Clearview line of video magnifiers is Flying Blind, LLC’s preferred desktop solution for the low-vision user seeking comfort, simplicity, ergonomics, and …
7.) One Refurbished BrailleSense U2 32-Cell Notetaker with QWERTY Keyboard
Price: $3,295.00 USD
Savings: Offered here at approximately $2,300.00 USD off of its suggested list price.
Description: The U2 provides unparalleled Braille access to PowerPoint and Excel files, connects you to the Cloud via Dropbox, and puts the wide world of social networking at your …
8) One Gently Used HandyTech Easy Braille Refreshable Braille Terminal
Price: $1,795.00 USD
Savings: Offered here at approximately $2,700.00 USD off of its suggested list price.
Description: This display is in pristine condition, and offers the user both USB and Bluetooth connectivity to their favorite laptops, tablets, and Smartphones. It’s …
Flying Blind, LLC Subscription Information:
SUBSCRIBE: Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: http://bit.ly/1irUr9E. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting “FLYINGBLIND” to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It’s that easy.
WEBSITE: Visit Flying Blind, LLC online at http://www.flying-blind.com.
FACEBOOK: Are you on Facebook? Stop by and “Like” Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
YOUTUBE: If audio / video is more your style, you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
RSS FEED: If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using: http://www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml.
ONLINE STORE: Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: http://www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free Shipping & Handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
QUESTIONS: Tidbits are intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVE: Visit the 2015 Tidbits Archive at: http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2015.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS: Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: email@example.com.